- n. 天氣；氣象；境遇
- vt. 使風化；經受??；使日曬雨淋
- vi. 風化；褪色；經受風雨
- adj. 上風的；天氣預報的
- 【?！吭谏巷L面的 ，上風的，迎風的，頂風的
- [U] 天氣,氣象 condition of the atmosphere at a certain place and time, with reference to temperature and the presence of rain, sunshine, wind, etc.
- vt. & vi. 風化 expose to the weather; become worn by the weather
- vt. 渡過; 挨過 come through successfully
the atmospheric conditions that comprise the state of the atmosphere in terms of temperature and wind and clouds and precipitation;
"they were hoping for good weather"
"every day we have weather conditions and yesterday was no exception"
"the conditions were too rainy for playing in the snow"
towards the side exposed to wind
face and withstand with courage;
"She braved the elements"
cause to slope
sail to the windward of
change under the action or influence of the weather;
"A weathered old hut"
- What is the weather like today?
- The meteorologist drew a picture of the weather.
- The past years had known him in many weathers.
- The rocks on the mountain have to be weathered by wind and water.
- Many small firms did not weather the storm of the recession.
- They are going to weather the corn in the thrashing field.
- The paint on the walls had weathered.
- The stone weathers to a beautiful pale gold.
- We weather along in spite of the storm.
- Fill in the form below about the weather report.
- It depends on how well the weather forecasts hold up.
- The weather changed overnight.
- What sort of weather is it?
- What is the weather like in Beijing?
- The weather was early summer.
- We shall play the match tomorrow, weather permitting.
- The weather was very wet and cold.
- The weather is getting warm.
- The weather was bad and the trains were crowded, altogether, it wasn't a very satisfactory excursion.
- The weather was good except for an occasional shower.
- The weather is perfect for a picnic.
- If the weather permitting, the party will be held outdoors.
- The success of the crop depends on the weather.
- When he will be back depends much on the weather.
- I don't like such weather.
- He took a glance outside at the weather.
- The farmers are complaining about the weather.
- We are expecting some weather.
- They won't come out (in) this weather.
- This is the prosperous weather for growing cotton.
- The farmers were hard hit by the bad weather.
- Owing to the bad weather, we didn't go to the park.
- The bad weather is responsible for the small attendance.
- The most severe weather is yet to come.
- We had almost tropical weather last summer.
- We had good weather on our holiday.
- We've had a lot of good weather.
- It is fine weather today.
- We have had some real weather this spring.
- We're having terrible weather.
- What wicked weather!
- At first she was very nervous about making the crossing in such stormy weather.
- A red sky in the morning is said to be a sign of bad weather.
- This warm weather is exceptional for January here in Beijing.
- You ought to know better than to go out in this cold weather in those thin summer shoes; no wonder your feet got cold!
- The weather bureau makes daily reports on weather conditions.
- Severe weather conditions hinders the rescue.
- Copper turns green as it weathers.
- Rocks weather until they are worn away.
- Wood weathers better if it is treated with creosote.
- The wind and the waves have weathered the rocks on the shore.
- We have weathered another war.
- The ship weathered the storm though she was badly damaged.
- The ship weathered an island.
- The ship weathered the cape.
- The little tree has weathered many bitter winters.
- The examination was difficult, but I weathered it quite well yet.
- All these veteran cadres have been capable of weathering the storms.
- The sun weathered the paint.
- These rocks have been weathered by the wind and water.
- Trees which have been cut down cannot be used until they have been weathered.
- The paint has been weathered by the sun and rain.
- Wood turns grey if it's weathered for a long time.
- Once this crisis had been weathered, the government's fortunes improved.
- The wind and sea have weathered the rocks quite smooth.
- in all weathers
不論在哪種天氣里,無論天氣好壞 in all kinds of weather, both good and bad
- keep a weather eye open
留意并警惕 be watchful and alert
- under the weather
身體不舒服或精神不愉快 feeling unwell or depressed
- weather along( v.+adv. )
在惡劣的天氣條件下前進 make headway in adverse weather
We weather along in spite of the storm.
- weather away( v.+adv. )
風化,因風吹雨打而褪色 disintegrate or discolour by atmospheric action
The rock has weathered away into soil.
那巖石已風化成沙土。weather sth ? away
The softer rock has been weathered away into soil.
- weather in( v.+adv. )
因氣候惡劣而困住 make unable to move because of bad weather
weather sb ? in
We wouldn't want to get weathered in among those high passes.
Most of the planes were weathered in during the storm.
- weather out( v.+adv. )
因周圍巖石風化而突出 become prominent by the decay of the surrounding rocks
weather sth ? out
We weathered out the storm that beat upon us.
The strata have now weathered out into long east-west ridges.
- weather through( v.+adv. )
成功地對付 pass through (troubles) successfully
It was a difficult time for her, but she weathered through beautifully.
You're strong enough; whatever happens, you'll weather through somehow.
你是夠堅強的了,無論發生什么事情,你總有辦法安然渡過。weather sth ? through
After weathering through troubles like that, you're strong enough for anything.
- complain about weather 抱怨天氣
- depend on the weather 看天氣行事
- dislike cold weather 不喜歡冷天氣
- escape the cold weather 躲避寒冷的天氣
- expect some weather 預計天氣要變壞
- forecast the weather 預報天氣
- like cold weather 喜歡冷天氣
- like hot weather 喜歡熱天氣
- make bad weather 遇到壞天氣
- make good weather 遇到好天氣
- meet with bad weather 遇到壞天氣
- meet with good weather 遇到好天氣
- report weather 報告天氣
- keep the weather 占上風,操大權
- make heavy weather of sth 對某事考慮過多,對某事小題大做,發現某事棘手
- run into rough weather 陷入困境
- agreeable weather 宜人的天氣
- all weathers 各種天氣
- bad weather 壞天氣
- beautiful weather 風和日麗的天氣
- broken weather 陰晴不定的天氣
- calm weather 無風的天氣
- charming weather 迷人的天氣,極好的天氣
- clear weather 天氣晴朗,晴天
- cloudy weather 陰天
- cold weather 寒冷的天氣
- comfortable weather 宜人的天氣
- cool weather 涼爽的天氣
- damp weather 潮濕的天氣
- depressing weather 沉悶的天氣
- dirty weather 惡劣的天氣
- dry weather 干燥的天氣,晴天
- fair weather 好天氣,晴朗的天氣
- favourable weather 有利的天氣
- fine weather 好天氣,晴天
- foggy weather 多霧的天氣
- freezing weather 極冷的天氣
- fresh weather 涼爽的天氣
- gloomy weather 陰沉的天氣
- glorious weather 陽光明媚的天氣
- good weather 好天氣,晴天
- hazy weather 霧蒙蒙的天氣
- heavy weather 陰沉的壞天氣
- hot weather 炎熱的天氣
- humid weather 濕熱的天氣
- mild weather 溫暖的天氣
- nice weather 好天氣,晴天
- overcast weather 陰天
- pleasant weather 好天氣,晴天
- rainy weather 下雨的天氣
- rotten weather 惡劣的天氣
- rough weather 狂風暴雨的天氣
- sunny weather 晴朗的天氣
- terrible weather 糟糕的天氣,惡劣的天氣
- ugly weather 險惡的天氣
- unfavourable weather 不利的天氣
- unpleasant weather 令人不愉快的天氣
- unusual weather 不尋常的天氣
- variable weather 變化無常的天氣
- warm weather 溫暖的天氣
- wet weather 多雨的天氣
- windy weather 刮風的天氣
- wonderful weather 極好的天氣
- weather an economic depression 渡過經濟蕭條
- weather crisis 經受住危機
- weather paint 使油漆褪色
- weather rock 使巖石風化
- weather storm 經受住暴風雨
- weather winter 經受住嚴冬
- weather badly 嚴重腐蝕
- weather along 在惡劣的氣候下前進
- weather away 風化
- weather in 因惡劣的天氣而困住
- weather out 克服困難
- weather through 安全渡過
The weather..is..awfulsreal snow and other horrors.出自： O. Wilde
They talked about the weather in an English way.出自： A. S. Byatt
Perfect weather for Mr Bush's garden party.出自：Guardian
We had weathered these storms successfully and the end of the war was in sight.出自： B. Montgomery
- weather是不可數名詞,其前不可加不定冠詞a,即使前面有bad, good等形容詞修飾時也不可以,但其復數形式可表示“各種天氣”。
- weather用作名詞時意思是“天氣”,轉化成動詞指經過年復一年的風吹日曬使一些東西變質,即“風化”; 也可指經受住嚴峻的考驗而最終“渡過”。
- weather可以以復數形式weathers出現，如in all weathers，表示“不論在那種天氣”；
this weather有時可等同于in this weather。
Why are all the windows open this weather?
- weather, climate
- 1.weather指某地某天的具體天氣情況,如陰晴、降水、氣溫、風力、風向等; climate指某一地區總的氣候情況,如干旱、濕潤、溫度、涼爽等。例如:
- The weather looks promising.天氣看起來有晴朗的希望。
- The climate of China is mild.中國的氣候溫和。
- 2.climate(氣候)變化不大; 而weather(天氣)變化較大。
誤 It was quite warm when I got here, but the climate suddenly turned cold overnight.
正 It was quite warm when I got here, but the weather suddenly turned cold overnight.
誤 We seldom go out in a cold weather.
正 We seldom go out in cold weather.
析 weather前盡管有修飾語,如hot, cold, fine, rainy等,但習慣上其前也不加不定冠詞。
- ☆ 直接源自古英語的weder；最初源自原始日耳曼語的wedran，意為空氣，天空。