- vt. & vi. 關,關上 close; close sth
"the door slammed shut"
used especially of mouth or eyes;
"he sat quietly with closed eyes"
"his eyes were shut against the sunlight"
move so that an opening or passage is obstructed; make shut;
"Close the door"
"shut the window"
"The windows closed with a loud bang"
prevent from entering; shut out;
"The trees were shutting out all sunlight"
"This policy excludes people who have a criminal record from entering the country"
- Please shut the door behind you.
- The office will shut down for christmas.
- He decided to shut down the shop.
- He shut himself away for a month to catch up on his academic work.
- Her mouth opened and shut, but no sound came out.
- He shut his eyes to her faults.
- Some coal-mines had to shut down.
- Business is not good. He'll have to shut the shop.
- She heard the bedroom window blow shut.
- With the door shut, rhe room was hot and humid.
- Keep your mouth shut.
- Are all the bars shut in this town?
- The jaws snap shut to take a sample.
- Some coal-mines had to shut down.
- The box shuts hard.
- The door shuts easily.
- The post office will shut at six pm.
- The flowers shut quietly at night.
- Shut the windows before you leave.
- He shut the book and put it away.
- She shut the umbrella and entered the house.
- He shut his mouth and refused to say anything more.
- He was angry, shut his mouth and said nothing.
- They shut their eyes to crime in which they did not participate.
- Her eyes were shut.
- It was so late that all the shops were shut.
- The door is closed but not shut.
- She would shut her eyes tight.
- shut down (v.+adv.)
完全關閉 close completely
The shop has shut down because of lack of trade.
那商店因生意蕭條而停業。shut sth ? down
She shut the lid down.
They have shut the shop down.
A strike has shut down several car factories.
The factory was shut down for two months as a result of the strike.
- shut in1 (v.+adv.)
鎖或封在里邊 seal or lock in; enclose
shut sb/sth ? in
If you close that door you can shut the noise in.
She feels rather shut in.
- shut in2 (v.+prep.)
shut sb/sth in sth
She shut her finger in the door.
Be careful not to shut your fingers in the door.
She shut her clothes in the door.
He was shut in a room.
- shut off (v.+adv.)
隔絕,使不得進入 separate; isolate; prevent from coming in
shut sth ? off
Would you shut the electricity off, please?
They have shut off the water supply.
We shut off the motor before we left the workshop.
The current has been shut off.
After the storm the electricity was shut off for several hours.
暴風雨過后停了幾個小時的電。shut oneself ? off
The girl tried to shut herself off from the world.
We are really shut off here.
They feel shut off from all human contact on this island.
- shut out (v.+adv.)
排除,關在外邊 exclude; lock out; prevent from coming in
shut sb/sth ? out
You really can't shut him out so easily.
He shut the cat out.
She has tried to shut the memories out.
Close the door and shut out that draught!
It's impossible to shut out all news from the outside world.
I can't shut out the picture of the accident.
- shut to (v.+prep.)
不對…開放 not open to sth
shut sb/sth to sb/sth
Canada shut its fishing waters to the United States.
- shut up (v.+adv.)
關嚴 close completely, but not necessarily forever
I wish she would shut up!
Shut up,I'm trying to think.
Shut up and let me alone!
I asked them to shut up and let us listen to the radio.
我讓他們別說話,好讓我們聽聽收音機。shut sb ? up
The boy talked too much and I had to shut him up.
這孩子話太多了,我不得不禁止他開口。shut sb/sth ? up
I shut my office up and went for lunch.
It's time to shut up shop and go home.
They have shut up their town house and have gone to the country for the summer.
The shop has been shut up temporarily.
The thief was shut up in prison.
- shut a cottage 關閉鄉村別墅
- shut one's ears to 充耳不聞
- shut one's eyes to 視而不見
- shut one's mind to 死不答應
- shut sb's clothes 把衣服夾在門中
- shut the box 關盒子
- shut the door〔gate〕 關門
- shut the shop 關店
- shut the windows 關窗子
- shut abruptly 突然地關上
- shut cautiously 小心地關上
- shut clamorously 砰砰響地關上
- shut easily 輕易地合上
- shut heavily 重重地關上
- shut impatiently 不耐煩地關上
- shut lightly 輕輕地關上
- shut mysteriously 神秘地合上
- shut obligingly 樂于助人地關上
- shut slowly 緩慢地關上
- shut stealthily 悄悄地合上
- shut suddenly 突然關上
- shut away 把…關起來,隔離
- shut him away from them 把他和他們隔開
- shut down 降臨,關起來,關上,使停止
- shut down a factory 關閉工廠
- shut off (from) 關掉,截斷,停止…的活動,使隔絕
- shut off the road from ordinary traffic 禁止一般車輛沿此路通行
- shut oneself off from the world 與世隔絕
- shut out 把…關在外面,擋住,遮住,排斥
- shut out the dog 別讓狗進來
- shut out the light 遮住光線
- shut up 關上,關閉,保藏,監禁,閉口不語
- shut sb up in prison 把某人送進監牢
- shut up shop 關店,打烊
- shut up the valuables in a safe 把貴重物品藏在保險箱中
- shut the door against sb 不準某人進門,給某人吃閉門羹
- shut behind 順手關上
- shut the door behind you 隨手把門關上
- shut sb from circle 把…排斥在圈子之外
- shut in 關閉,禁閉,封閉,夾住
- shut oneself in one's room to think 關在屋里思考問題
- shut on 對…關上
- shut the door on sb 把某人拒于門外,給某人吃閉門羹
- shut to 關上(某物),閉上(眼)
- shut one's ears to all advice 不聽任何勸告
- shut ears to all appeals for help 對于一切求助的呼聲都充耳不聞
- shut one's eyes to the facts 閉眼不看事實
- shut with 用…方式關上
- shut sb within the walls 把某人關在屋內
He shut the gate..with a slam.出自： W. Cather
Daneel closed the door.., sliding it shut carefully.出自： I. Asimov
He..shut the door on her.出自： P. Carey
- shut, close
- 1.close指把門等關到讓人不能出入的程度,只表示關上; 而shut指關嚴并緊緊閂住,強調與外界隔絕。例如:
- He did not close the door when he left the room.
- Shut the door so that the cat won't get out.
- The store closes at 9 p.m. every day.
- The police shut the murderer up in a cell.
- The swimming pool has closed for the winter.游泳場冬天不開放。
- The hotel is shut.這家旅館不再開業了。
誤 Please shut off the radio.The child has gone to sleep.
正 Please turn off the radio.The child has gone to sleep.
析 shut的意思是“把敞開著的東西合或關起來”,當表示“把…的開關關掉”時,不可用shut off,而用turn off。檢查水管時,把水關上了幾個小時。
誤 The water was shut for several hours while the pipes were being repaired.
正 The water was shut off for several hours while the pipes were being repaired.
析 shut作“關掉”解時,賓語通常是門、窗等可以打開的東西; 當表示“關上”“堵住”水、氣等時,應該用shut off。這窗戶容易關。
誤 The window is shut easily.
正 The window shuts easily.那商店晚上九點才關門。
誤 The shop will not be shut until 9 p.m.
正 The shop will not shut until 9 p.m.
- ☆ 直接源自古英語的scyttan，意為拴上。