- [S][U]力氣,努力 (sth that needs) the use of physical strength or power of the mind; trying hard with mind or body
- [C]努力的嘗試,盡力 an attempt using all one's powers
- [C]努力的結果,成果; 作品 result of an attempt; works
earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something;
"made an effort to cover all the reading material"
"wished him luck in his endeavor"
"she gave it a good try"
use of physical or mental energy; hard work;
"he got an A for effort"
"they managed only with great exertion"
a notable achievement;
"he performed a great feat"
"the book was her finest effort"
a series of actions advancing a principle or tending toward a particular end;
"he supported populist campaigns"
"they worked in the cause of world peace"
"the team was ready for a drive toward the pennant"
"the movement to end slavery"
"contributed to the war effort"
- They are making every effort to decrease the production cost.
- All my efforts were fruitless.
- It doesn't need much effort.
- A great deal of effort has gone into this exhibition.
- His efforts were wasted.
- His efforts were much appreciated.
- Finishing the work in one day was a very good effort.
- That's a good effort.
- We redouble our efforts for Manhan's release.
- It was a real effort to stay awake through the film.
- His effort to finish his work in one day failed.
- His effort to reform her at length succeeded.
- His maiden effort at authorship was a long tale.
- This is his effort at depicting the peasants.
- This is his maiden effort at depicting the soldier.
- make efforts〔an effort, every effort〕
作出努力 use of strength and energy to do sth
make efforts〔an effort, every effort〕 to-v
The workers are making efforts to fulfil this year's plan.
The prisoner made an effort to escape, but he couldn't climb the prison wall.
I will make every effort to arrive on time.
- put effort into
對某事付出很大力氣 use of much strength and energy for sth
put effort into sth/v-ing
He put a lot of effort into arranging the concert.
- spare no effort
不遺余力,盡力去做 try one's best
spare no effort to-v
They spared no effort to undermine the democratic life inside the party.
- with (an) effort
- without effort
毫不費力地 without much strength and energy
- appreciate sb's effort 感謝某人的努力
- attempt efforts 作努力
- continue one's efforts 繼續努力,再接再厲
- devote one's effort to 把力量用于…,努力做…
- direct one's efforts to 把力量用于…,努力做…
- focus one's effort on 對…集中力量
- lend one's effort 作出努力
- make an effort 盡力
- make every effort 盡一切努力,竭盡全力
- reward sb's effort 獎賞某人的努力
- spare no effort 不遺余力,盡力
- spend one's effort 作出努力
- take efforts 花費力氣,作出努力
- waste one's effort 使努力白費,徒勞
- additional effort 格外的努力
- best efforts 全力,盡力,最大的努力
- common effort 共同努力
- every effort 一切努力
- fresh effort 新的努力
- further efforts 進一步的努力
- least effort 最小的力氣
- many efforts 很多努力
- much effort 很多力量
- necessary effort 必要的努力
- past effort 過去的努力,以往的努力
- patient effort 堅持不懈的努力
- recent effort 近來的努力,近期的努力
- serious efforts 認真的努力
- single effort 真誠的努力,一心一意的努力
- special effort 特別的努力
- united effort 一致的努力
- useless effort 徒勞,白白努力
- wasted effort 白費勁
With a considerable effort of will he rose..and shuffled to the bathroom.出自： A. Koestler
I make no effort to save myself.出自： J. Rhys
Praising just a little, demanding always more effort, a higher standard of perfection.出自： M. Keane
- make efforts, make an effort, make every effort后面常接動詞不定式,表示“努力做某事”,接an effort時表示“做一番努力”; 接efforts時表示“作出多次努力”,接every effort表示“每做一次努力”。
His effort to reform her at length succeeded.
This is his effort at depicting the peasants.
- effort指“努力”時，是抽象名詞，不可直接用于make后。只能以an effort，efforts，every efforts等形式出現；
- 表示相反的狀態時，用without effort或without great effort中，注意是單數effort；
- effort可用于以下句型中：Effort has been made to...（不定式），Effort has been directed to...（介詞）或make special effort to...（不定式）等。
- effort(s), bid, endeavour(s), exertion(s), pain(s)
- effort(s)著重指動作的本身; endeavour(s)著重作出努力的認真和決心; exertion(s)著重于動作的積極性或劇烈性; bid著重于為達到某種企圖而作出的努力; pain(s)側重為完成某事花費氣力。例如:
- I will make a great effort to master English我會努力掌握英語。
- The cabinet is making all possible endeavours to bring about national economic stabilization.政府內閣將盡最大努力使國家經濟趨于穩定。
- I was quite hot and tired after all my exertions.用力干后,我又熱又累。
- Our Department is making a bid for the interdepartmental basketball championship.我們系正力求奪取系際的籃球賽冠軍。
- For thirty years,Teacher Liu has been taking great pains in educating us.30年來,劉教員一直勞心努力地教育我們。
誤 I will do every effort to help you.
正 I will make every effort to help you.
誤 Great efforts have been made to help him.
正 Great effort has been made to help him.
析 make與effort搭配用于被動結構時, effort多表示抽象的行為概念,是不可數名詞。他們作出更大努力以加強團結。
誤 They make more efforts at〔in〕 strengthening unity.
正 They make more efforts to strengthen unity.
析 make efforts〔an effort〕后面通常跟動詞不定式,而不能用“at〔in〕+動名詞”形式。他費了很大勁才搬開那塊石頭。
誤 He took the rock away with big effort.
正 He took the rock away with great effort.
析 “很大的力氣”可說great effort, a lot of effort,不可用big修飾effort。我費了很大勁,從人群中擠了出去。
誤 With a lot of efforts I edged my way out of the crowd.
正 With a lot of effort I edged my way out of the crowd.
析 with a lot of effort意為“費了很大氣力”,但這里effort為不可數名詞,詞尾不可加s。他毫不費力地完成了工作。
誤 He finished the work without an effort.
正 He finished the work without effort.
析 without effort表示“毫不費力地”時, effort指“力氣”,是不可數名詞,不可以說without an effort,而在with effort中, effort前有時可加an。
- ☆ 15世紀晚期進入英語，直接源自古法語的esforz；最初源自通俗拉丁語的exfortiare：ex (出） + fortis (強大的），意為展示強大實力。