- [C][U]死,死亡,死亡時刻; 死法; 死狀 the end of the life; time or manner of dying
- [C]死因 the cause of loss of life
- [S]毀滅,消失,終止 destruction or disappearance
- [U]死神 the destroyer of life
the event of dying or departure from life;
"her death came as a terrible shock"
"upon your decease the capital will pass to your grandchildren"
the permanent end of all life functions in an organism or part of an organism;
"the animal died a painful death"
the absence of life or state of being dead;
"he seemed more content in death than he had ever been in life"
the time when something ends;
"it was the death of all his plans"
"a dying of old hopes"
the time at which life ends; continuing until dead;
"she stayed until his death"
"a struggle to the last"
the personification of death;
"Death walked the streets of the plague-bound city"
a final state;
"he came to a bad end"
"the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end"
the act of killing;
"he had two deaths on his conscience"
- The seedling was frozen to death.
- The farm came to him on his father's death.
- The film ends with the death of the heroine.
- Car accidents caused many deaths.
- He had to choose between death and dishonour.
- That defeat meant the death of all my hopes.
- There are conflicting versions of the girl's death.
- The policeman wanted to determine her death.
- Death comes to all men.
- All men must die, but death can vary in its significance.
- Her death was a real grief.
- His wife's death was a great blow to him.
- The alternatives are death and submission.
- He was willing to risk death to save his friend.
- The Supreme Court is expected to uphold the death sentence.
- After death, the king's body was interred in a specially constructed tomb.
- The sick man is in danger of death.
- March 6 is the date of his death.
- The news of his death filled her with despair.
- She described how she had narrowly escaped death.
- If their identity should be discovered, it would mean sure death.
- They avenged his death by burning the village.
- The worker was scalded to death when the boiler exploded.
- The chief of the police force spread the word that he would put to death all the arrested student representatives.
- Jack was sentenced to death for murdering his wife.
- Drink will be the death of him.
- Oh, don't make me laugh any more or you'll be the death of me.
- The protest will die a slow death.
- Death is often shown in pictures as a human skeleton.
- as pale as death
面無人色 very pale
- at death's door
- be sick to death of
對…極厭倦 feel very tired about sth
- catch one's death
得致命的感冒 catch a chill bad cold
- dice with death
冒生命危險 risk on life
- die the death
突然停止 stop suddenly
- do to death
把…重復得令人厭煩 overdo; overexpose
do sth to death
The television companies have done to death the coverage of the election,I'm tired of it already.
I used to like that song once, but now it's been done to death; every singer has made a record of it.
- feel like death warmed up
感到筋疲力盡 feel exhausted
- in at the death
看到事情的結局 present at the very end
- put to death
put sb to death
The blood-sucker was put to death by the peasants there and then.
- tickle to death
非常高興 highly amused
tickle sb to death
We were all tickled to death at the antics of the clowns.
- to death
- to the death
到底,至死 until sb is defeated or killed
- work to death
把…累垮; 把…損壞 force sb/sth to work excessively
work sb/sth to death
The company expects hard work, but refuses to work its employees to death.
The engine had been worked to death and was in need of major repairs.
- announce the death of 宣告…逝世
- avenge the death of 為…的死報仇
- bring death 帶來死亡
- catch one's death of 患致命的…
- cause death 造成死亡
- die a dog's death 慘死,可恥地死去,潦倒而死
- die a hero's death 英勇犧牲
- die a natural death 壽終正寢
- die a slow death 慢慢平息
- do sb to death 殺死某人
- drink oneself to death 喝得醉死過去
- escape death 幸免于死
- face death 面對死亡
- fear death 怕死
- fight to the death 戰斗到底,戰死
- have a happy death 幸福地死去
- meet death 面臨死亡
- mourn sb's death 沉痛哀悼…的逝世
- put sb to death 處死某人
- receive death at sb's hand 自尋短見
- suffer death 遭受死亡
- stone sb to death 用石頭砸死某人
- brave death 勇敢的死
- certain death 無可避免的死亡
- cruel death 慘死
- early death 早逝,夭折,夭亡
- happy death 幸福的死
- inglorious death 可恥的死
- living death 活地獄
- many deaths 許多死亡
- natural death 老死,因年老而死
- sure death 必然的死亡
- the Black D- 黑死病
- brain death 腦死亡
- at death 逝世時
- by the death of sb 由于某人的逝世
- in death as in life 雖死猶生
- in the death of sb 由于某人的逝世
- in the hour of sb's death 在某人逝世的時刻
- day of death 死期
- point of death 死亡的邊緣
- to the death 至死,到底
- until death 終生
The Greek did not believe death to be annihilation.出自： J. R. Seeley
My mother's untimely death.出自： Day Lewis
The hideous death designed by the law for traitors.出自： C. V. Wedgwood
Over them triumphant Death his Dart Shook; but delaid to strike.出自： personified
Into the jaws of Death..Rode the six hundred.出自： Tennyson
- death的基本意思是“死,死亡”,也可表示“死亡時刻; 死法; 死狀”“死因”,既可用作可數名詞,也可用作不可數名詞。
- to death, to the death
- 兩者意思不同:前者作“十分”“很”解; 而后者是“直到死; 到最后”的意思。
誤 The collision resulted in three death.
正 The collision resulted in three deaths.
- ☆ 直接源自中古英語的deth；最初源自古英語的death，意為死。