- v. 繼續；連續；維持；持續
- vt. & vi. 繼續,連續 go on; go further (without stopping or after stopping)
continue a certain state, condition, or activity;
"Keep on working!"
"We continued to work into the night"
"We went on working until well past midnight"
"I know it's hard,"
"but there is no choice"
"carry on--pretend we are not in the room"
keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last;
"preserve the peace in the family"
"continue the family tradition"
"Carry on the old traditions"
move ahead; travel onward in time or space;
"We proceeded towards Washington"
"She continued in the direction of the hills"
"We are moving ahead in time now"
allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature;
"We cannot continue several servants any longer"
"She retains a lawyer"
"The family's fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff"
"Our grant has run out and we cannot keep you on"
"We kept the work going as long as we could"
"She retained her composure"
"this garment retains its shape even after many washings"
do something repeatedly and showing no intention to stop;
"We continued our research into the cause of the illness"
"The landlord persists in asking us to move"
continue after an interruption;
"The demonstration continued after a break for lunch"
continue in a place, position, or situation;
"After graduation, she stayed on in Cambridge as a student adviser"
"Stay with me, please"
"despite student protests, he remained Dean for another year"
"She continued as deputy mayor for another year"
span an interval of distance, space or time;
"The war extended over five years"
"The period covered the turn of the century"
"My land extends over the hills on the horizon"
"This farm covers some 200 acres"
"The Archipelago continues for another 500 miles"
exist over a prolonged period of time;
"The bad weather continued for two more weeks"
- He is to continue as manager.
- They continued down until they came to some pockets of natural gas.
- She continued as mayor for a second term.
- We will continue with the payments for another year.
- Wet weather may continue for a few more days.
- The fighting around the airport continued for a week before the enemy was defeated.
- If this drought continued, it would spoil everything.
- The rain continued all day.
- The desert continues as far as the eye could reach.
- The children must continue at school till July.
- If sales continue at their present rate, we will make record profits this year.
- The earthquake continued for about two minutes.
- The fighting continued for a week.
- The road continues in a straight line for five miles.
- We became good friends, and our friendship continued to his death.
- The exhibition will continue until August.
- After a short break the game continued.
- After a ten-minute break, the class continued.
- The meeting will be continued after a recess.
- He continued at his post.
- He is to continue as manager.
- Beef prices had continued to be high in most areas of the country.
- He continued to be obstinate.
- She continued sullen.
- That naughty boy continues lazy.
- The patient continues unconscious.
- He continued faithful to his cause.
- The weather will continue fine in two days.
- The weather continues warm.
- I continue angry with him.
- How long can they continue this damaging strike?
- They want to continue their education.
- He continued the boring work day after day.
- Although they were confronted with many difficulties, they continued the accusation.
- We may continue the traction up to three weeks, until the fracture is healed.
- Why don't you continue the medicine?
- Continue our meeting!
- I did my work in day time, meanwhile I continued the investigations in my spare time.
- More and more people continue their education by attending night school in recent years.
- He will be continued in office.
- The technical innovation will be continued with the help of some experts.
- Our present policy is continued without interference.
- The meeting will be continued after a recess.
- The story will be continued next week.
- The case was continued until next week.
- The English program will be continued at the same time next Saturday.
- Despite having new owners, the company will continue to be run by its present management.
- Despite attempts to call them to order, the audience continued to make a lot of noise.
- The window continued to creak all night.
- They continued to meet daily.
- She continued to play the piano.
- He continued to work on the book during his long illness.
- He continued to live with his parents after his marriage.
- I signed to him to keep away, but he continued to advance.
- In recent years,Non-OPEC oil production has continued to rise.
- Zaire's international debts continued to climb.
- If prices continue to advance, poor people will find it hard to live.
- Prices continue to rise.
- It continues to rain.
- They continue to walk after a recess.
- He continued working when he was ill.
- He continued writing his diaries until he died.
- He continued teaching in Wuhan.
- The snow continues falling.
- Edison liked to allow other people to take care of business matters for him, while he continued inventing.
- Are you going to continue gardening after dinner?
- The politician continued that he thought the government should call on election.
- Rose continued that she thought the work should be finished by the end of the year.
- “And so,” she continued,“the fight for equality must go on.”
- “Then,” he continued,“an idea suddenly occurred to me.”
- They will continue Mr. Kabe as principal of the school.
- We decided to continue him as our monitor.
- continue on (v.+adv.)
繼續發展 go on
continue sth ? on
If the company continues on this course it's heading for financial trouble.
- continue with (v.+prep.)
繼續 go on doing〔with〕 sth; carry on
continue with sth/v-ing/wh-clause
The teacher told the class to continue with their work while he was out of the classroom.
He continued with his reading as if nothing important had happened.
Please continue with what you were doing before I came in.
- continue the accusation 繼續訴訟
- continue the action 延續某種行為
- continue the arguing 繼續辯論
- continue the campaign 繼續戰斗
- continue the competition 繼續競賽
- continue the discussion 繼續討論
- continue the education 繼續教育
- continue the game 繼續比賽
- continue the journey 繼續旅行
- continue the meal 繼續進餐
- continue the meeting 繼續開會
- continue the performance 繼續表演
- continue the publication 繼續出版
- continue the speech 繼續講演
- continue the story 繼續講故事
- continue the study 繼續學習
- continue the subscription 繼續訂閱
- continue the talking and laughing 不停地談笑
- continue the walk 繼續步行
- continue the work 繼續工作
- continue all day 終日不停
- continue calmly 平靜地繼續
- continue facetiously 可笑地繼續著
- continue hopefully 懷有希望地繼續
- continue imperturbably 沉著地繼續
- continue mercilessly 無情地繼續
- continue obstinately 依然固執
- continue passionately 熱烈地進行著
- continue presumptuously 依然傲慢
- continue relentlessly 不懈地堅持著
- continue uncomplainingly 毫無怨言地繼續
- continue voluntarily 自愿地繼續
- continue down 持續
- continue on 繼續
- continue sb as sth 讓某人當…
- continue at one's post 留任原職
- continue at school for another year 繼續學習一年
- continue by 以…繼續下去
- continue for about two minutes 持續兩分鐘
- continue for miles 延伸好幾英里
- continue from the previous page 接上頁
- continue in a very depressed state 仍然不景氣
- continue in command 繼續擔任指揮
- continue in one's bad behaviour 行為仍然不良
- continue in power 繼續當權
- continue in weak health 身體還是很弱
- continue far into the night 繼續到深夜
- continue into this day 持續到今天
- continue through 20 years 持續了20年
- continue to the highway 通向公路
- continue to the present 持續到現在
- continue until August 直到8月份
- continue with 繼續…
- continue with one's work 接著干
To continue the struggle.出自： G. Bancroft
Come to the Soviet Union and continue your studies there.出自： E. Hemingway
- continue的基本意思是“繼續”,指動作或狀態的繼續或持續不中斷?？杀硎疽患乱恢痹谧?中間沒有停歇; 也可以表示中間有一個中斷,又接著做下去。
- continue還可用作系動詞,接(to be+) adj. 或as+ n. 作表語, to be?？梢允÷?。
- still continue是個很多余的用法，應該避免，去掉still，用continue就可以了；
The baby continued to cry all night.
The baby continued to cry (或crying) all night.
句子不可改為The baby continued to cry (或 crying) at eleven o'clock。
continue解釋為“(在停止后）繼續……”的時候，后接的賓語常有story， article， narrative，discourse，journey等。
The author will continue the story in another volume.
Her temper continued uncertain.
- abide, continue，endure，last，persist
- Though many features were abiding, the changes were much felt.盡管某些特征依然存在，仍可感到發生的各種變化。
- The weather continued fine.天氣仍然很好。
- The war lasted five years.這場戰爭連續打了5年。
- The hot weather lasted until September.炎熱的天氣一直持續到9月。
- The tendency still persists.那種傾向依然存在。
- His fame endures for ever.他的聲名永垂不朽。
- continue，resume，succeed，go on
- go on通俗用詞，多用于口語中。go on+-ing表暫停后繼續做原事，相當于后繼續的內容與原來的內容相同。go on+不定式指做完某事后，接著做不同的另一件事。
誤 The weather is still continuing cold and wet.
正 The weather continues cold and wet.
- ☆ 14世紀中期進入英語，直接源自古法語的continuer；最初源自古典拉丁語的continuare，意為制作或連續的。