- v. 企圖；嘗試
- n. 企圖；試圖
- vt. 試圖; 嘗試 make an effort at; try to do sth, especially without succeeding
- [C]嘗試,試圖,企圖 an effort made to do sth
earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something;
"made an effort to cover all the reading material"
"wished him luck in his endeavor"
"she gave it a good try"
the act of attacking;
"attacks on women increased last year"
"they made an attempt on his life"
make an effort or attempt;
"He tried to shake off his fears"
"The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps"
"The police attempted to stop the thief"
"He sought to improve himself"
"She always seeks to do good in the world"
enter upon an activity or enterprise
- He attempted to smother up the scandal about his family.
- I would be the last to attempt to answer the question.
- The enemy failed in their attempt to land on the island.
- He studied hard in an attempt to pass the exam.
- He attempted the exam but failed.
- He is attempting a difficult task.
- If you wish it so much I shall attempt it.
- He did not attempt the last question in the examination.
- During these two years they attempted many scientific experiments.
- They attempted the almost impossible thing.
- We mustn't attempt unrestricted expansion regardless if it is within our capacity.
- It's better not to attempt too much at one time.
- A large robbery was attempted by the thieves.
- The judge's life was attempted.
- We'll attempt to solve the problem.
- They will attempt to do it.
- Don't attempt to do so much in such a short time.
- They're laudably attempting to carry out the plan.
- He attempted to get in touch with them but without success.
- I have attempted to give an explanation of this fact.
- The old couple will attempt to leave the town as soon as possible.
- I attempted to leave without being known, but failed.
- Before they fled the country, the enemy attempted to destroy the factories.
- He attempted to speak but was told to be quiet.
- He attempted to mediate their differences.
- They attempted to go on with the work but couldn't.
- I'd rather not attempt to guess what the result will be.
- He attempted to find the old woman.
- The doctor attempted to save the dying man.
- The enemy charged up the mountain, attempting to knock out our forces.
- We'll attempt solving the problem.
- He attempted doing it.
- I attempted walking along the rope.
- The enemy attempted breaking through our lines.
- I attempted walking until I fell over.
- They're laudably attempting carrying out the plan.
- The enemy vainly attempted destroying the bridge.
- News of the attempted deal soon leaked out.
- Further attempts are being made at solving this problem.
- It's useless to make a further attempt.
- He made the attempt again and again without success.
- He gave up the attempt.
- After repeated attempts they finally succeeded.
- I passed my driving test at the third attempt.
- The old couple had set aside other feelings in an attempt to hold the family together.
- He failed in the attempt to climb the mountain.
- She made a last attempt to write a novel.
- The attempt to murder him had failed.
- He began a new attempt to solve the problem.
- He made a brave attempt to save the child's life.
- attempt at
在…方面的試圖 an effort made to do sth at sth
- attempt on
試圖做 an effort made to do sth on sth
- attempt on one's life
試圖謀殺某人 the attempt to kill sb
- attempt sb's life 企圖殺害某人
- attempt arduously 艱苦地嘗試
- attempt brutally 嚴峻地嘗試
- attempt charitably 慷慨地嘗試
- attempt covertly 秘密地嘗試
- attempt creditably 值得稱贊地嘗試
- attempt daringly 大膽地嘗試
- attempt desperately 充滿危險地嘗試
- attempt despicably 可鄙地嘗試
- attempt disastrously 災難性地嘗試
- attempt eloquently 雄辯地嘗試
- attempt exorbitantly 極其過分地嘗試
- attempt falteringly 猶豫地嘗試
- attempt feebly 愚蠢地嘗試
- attempt forcibly 用暴力方式進行地嘗試
- attempt forlornly 孤獨無助地嘗試
- attempt fruitlessly 無結果地嘗試
- attempt futilely 無效地嘗試
- attempt grotesquely 可笑地嘗試
- attempt heroically 英勇地嘗試
- attempt ignobly 不光彩地嘗試
- attempt impiously 不恭地嘗試
- attempt inadvertently 非故意地嘗試
- attempt inauspiciously 不吉利地嘗試
- attempt ineffectually 效果不佳地嘗試
- attempt ineptly 不恰當地嘗試
- attempt ingeniously 巧妙地嘗試
- attempt involuntarily 不由自主地嘗試
- attempt laboriously 努力地嘗試
- attempt laudably 值得贊美地嘗試
- attempt memorably 值得回憶地嘗試
- attempt murderously 謀殺性地嘗試
- attempt obviously 明顯地嘗試
- attempt outrageously 猖狂地試圖
- attempt patriotically 愛國地嘗試
- attempt prematurely 提前地嘗試
- attempt pretentiously 狂妄地嘗試
- attempt previously 先前地嘗試
- attempt reasonably 合理地嘗試
- attempt repeatedly 多次地嘗試
- attempt sincerely 真實地嘗試
- attempt spectacularly 引人入勝地嘗試
- attempt strenuously 艱難地嘗試
- attempt superhumanly 超出常人能力地嘗試
- attempt systematically 系統地嘗試
- attempt unavailingly 無用地嘗試
- foil an attempt 挫敗某一企圖
- frustrate an attempt 挫敗某一企圖
- give up the attempt 放棄了那個企圖
- make a further attempt 做進一步嘗試
- make a last-ditch attempt 作最后的努力
- thwart an attempt 挫敗某一企圖
- abortive attempt 不成功的嘗試
- all-out attempt 全力以赴的嘗試
- daring attempt 大膽的嘗試
- deliberate attempt 審慎的嘗試
- feeble attempt 無效的嘗試
- futile attempt 徒勞的嘗試
- half-hearted attempt 三心二意的嘗試
They have awak'd, And 'tis not done. Th' attempt, and not the deed, Confounds us.出自：Macbeth , Shakespeare
[He] flung away his life in a gallant attempt to save a servant who had fallen overboard.出自： J. M. Barrie
I tried to smile, but I made a rather poor attempt at it.出自： J. Marquand
All attempts to meet her have failed so far.出自： L. Durrell
If thou attempt it, it will cost thee dear.出自：Othello , Shakespeare
To embolden her to attempt extorting the right of investitures.出自： D. Hume
Tiberius answered..that his troops were not yet fit to attempt the task.出自： R. Graves
He attempted to smile back at him, but found it difficult.出自： W. Trevor
- attempt后可加不定式，如attempt to do，也可加介詞和動名詞勾結，如attempt at doing，不過習慣上，不定式的用法更為普遍；
- 作為名詞時，attempt是指可數的嘗試，要注意不能隨便省略掉冠詞an，如make an attempt。也可以說an attempt to do it和an attempt at doing it，或者是不用冠詞，如make little attempt，without attempt；
The work was attempted to be done quickly.
- attempt, endeavour, try
- 這組詞都有“嘗試”或“設法 ”的意思。它們之間的區別是：
- We attempted a race.我們試圖進行一次比賽。
- It would be a waste of time to attempt the impossible.試圖做辦不到的事是浪費時間。
- The UN is endeavouring to establish peace.聯合國正在為世界和平而努力。
- Galieo endeavoured to prove that the earth rotates around the sun.伽利略盡力證明地球是繞著太陽轉的。
- I don't think I can do it, but I'll try.我認為我做不來那個,但我愿試一試。
- If you can't do it the first time, try again.要是你第一次做不成,就再試一下。
- Who is going to try the case?誰將審理此案件?
誤 Any attempt leaving early is against regulations.
正 Any attempt to leave early is against regulations.
- ☆ 15世紀初期進入英語，直接源自古法語的attempter，意為試圖；最初源自拉丁語的attemptare：ad (去） + temptare (嘗試），意為嘗試。