- [U]怒氣,怒火 strong feeling of displeasure and hostility
- vt. & vi. (使)發怒; 激怒 (cause to) fill (sb) with anger; make angry
a strong emotion; a feeling that is oriented toward some real or supposed grievance
the state of being angry
belligerence aroused by a real or supposed wrong (personified as one of the deadly sins)
"The news angered him"
"He angers easily"
- His charges were met with cries of anger.
- His face was inflamed with anger.
- He was inflamed with anger.
- She felt anger rise in her heart.
- The eagle is eager to anger the tiger in danger.
- We don't want to anger the people who don't approve of nationalization.
- He was roused to anger by the insult.
- His anger is an affair of no consequence.
- Her anger is not genuine; she is only acting.
- His anger blazed forth.
- His sudden anger died.
- Her mother's anger died away.
- His anger has died down a bit.
- It was not long time before his anger melted.
- At these insolent words her anger rose.
- He gave his fierce anger.
- Don't draw his anger down.
- He soon forgot his anger and came round.
- She just said it to vent her anger.
- She dared the anger of his family.
- I can't describe my anger in words.
- She wanted to cry her grief and anger all away.
- The Black people were grateful to have found a way to express their anger and bitterness.
- I never saw him show jealousy, vanity, bitterness, anger, resentment, or personal ambition.He seemed immune to these emotions.
- He doubled up his fists in anger.
- She hit the child in anger.
- They quarrelled in hot anger.
- Don't joke with a man in anger.
- He gritted his teeth in anger at the insult.
- We sometimes do things in anger that we are sorry for afterwards.
- She was shouting in anger.
- In anger he broke a beautiful vase.
- He was fearful of her anger.
- She tore the letter to pieces in a moment of anger.
- He always regrets the things he says and does in a moment of anger.
- In a moment of anger I hit my little brother.
- He said that in a fit of anger.Don't take it to heart.
- He is prone to anger.
- She is swift to anger.
- He is quivering with anger.
- Brooks burned with silent anger because his father would not let him use the car.
- She became purple with anger.
- His face was red with anger.
- Dark-red in the face with anger, he jumped up.
- I saw the boys throwing stones at the dog,I was filled with anger.
- She was behind herself with anger when she was told about it.
- He was seething with anger when he was reading the letter.
- He angers easily.
- She always angers with little or no provocation.
- Her cruel words angered him.
- The man's unpleasant familiar behaviour angered the girl.
- His bad behaviour was such as to anger everyone.
- The little boy's mischief angered his parents.
- Ade's reckless driving angered his father.
- It angered me that they had not kept their promise.
- He is easily angered.
- She was angered at the insult.
- They were angered at the resolution.
- The workers were all angered at the decision.
- Jacelin was greatly angered by his brother's ingratitude.
- He was angered by the selfishness of the others.
- more in sorrow than in anger
更多的是悲傷〔悔恨〕而不是憤恨 sadly rather than angrily
- appease sb's anger 使某人息怒
- arouse sb's anger 使某人發火
- calm sb's anger 使某人息怒
- cause sb's anger 使某人發火
- contain one's anger 抑制怒火
- control one's anger 抑制怒火
- express anger 表示憤怒
- feel anger 感到憤怒
- hold back anger 抑制惱怒
- refrain anger 抑制惱怒
- repress one's anger 抑制怒火
- show anger 顯出怒容
- swallow one's anger 抑制怒火
- vent anger 發泄怒火
- blind anger 盲目的憤怒
- burning anger 強烈的憤怒
- deep anger 大怒
- great anger 大怒
- hot anger 盛怒
- profound anger 大怒
- silent anger 暗自生氣
- suppressed anger 被壓抑的怒火
- unbridled anger 狂怒
- in anger 氣沖沖地,憤怒地
- part in anger 憤怒地分手
- a fit of anger 一陣憤怒
- to anger 發怒
- through the anger 因憤怒
- with anger 憤怒地
- burn with anger 怒火中燒
- shake with violent anger 氣憤得發抖
- anger easily 易發怒
It anger'd Turenne..To see a footman kick'd that took his pay.出自： Pope
You have both pleased and angered me.出自： S. Johnson
It angers me when people..depreciate the Spaniards.出自： Southey
Some Englishmen were angered at his supposed desertion of the French.出自： A. J. P. Taylor
- anger用作名詞表示的是主體在認為某人〔行為,事實〕不公正或不道德時,或者在受委屈或被激惹時由于氣憤心理而引發的一種感情沖動,即“怒”“憤怒”。這種憤怒可以是較為穩定的,也可以是較短期爆發的; 可以是有控制的,也可以是失控的; 可以是有明顯外部表現的,也可以是隱藏在心底的; 可以是正當的,有理由的,也可以是無緣無故的,甚至是毫無道理的。
- anger用作及物動詞時一般以物作主語,賓語通常是人。當人作主語時,常用于be ～ed結構,與介詞at, by連用表示“因〔由于〕…而發怒”。
- anger, fury, indignation, rage
- 1.從“憤怒”的程度上說, anger表示的是各種程度的“怒”,可能表現出來,也可能有所控制; rage已超過中等強度,屬強烈發作,且已不能自控,即“大怒”; fury之怒更為強烈,已近瘋狂,即“狂怒”“暴怒”。例如:
- Though he felt his anger mounting, he kept perfect control of himself.雖然他越來越生氣,但他還是很好地控制住自己。
- In his rage, he tore the letter to pieces.他大發雷霆,把信撕得粉碎。
- In his fury, he banged his fist on the table.盛怒之下,他用拳頭敲桌子。
- 2.從引起“憤怒”的原因上說：anger, rage, fury這三個詞既可以是當怒的,也可以是不當怒的; 可以是與自己有關的,也可以是與自己無關的。而indignation則著重指出由于正義感而對卑鄙行徑、不光彩行為或不正之風等所表示出來的“義憤”,且可與自己無直接關系。例如:
- They expressed great indignation at the ruthless exploitation of the colonialists.他們對殖民主義者的殘酷剝削表示了極大的義憤。
- He cannot control his anger.
- He cannot check his anger.
- He can hardly contain his anger.
- He was carried away by his anger.
- anger, enrage, incense, madden
- 1.從“(使)憤怒”的程度上說：anger表示的是各種程度的“怒”; enrage和incense則到了發火的程度,即“大怒”; madden語氣最強,即“狂怒”。
- 2.從“(使)憤怒”的原因上說：anger最普通,可以是當怒的,也可以是不當怒的; incense指被過分的事物所激怒; enrage指被逗弄等所激怒; madden則主要指受到侮辱而發怒。
- 3.從表現上說：anger的怒可外露,也可隱藏于心中; 其余幾個詞則多有明顯的外部表現。例如:
- Her words angered him very much.她的話使他生氣極了。
- He was incensed by her casual attitude to his mother's death.見到她對他母親的去世那么漫不經心,他氣壞了。
- The child's teasing enraged the animal.那孩子把那頭動物逗得大怒。
- He maddened at the thought of how he had been betrayed.他一想起自己被出賣的情形就勃然大怒。
- ☆ 1200年左右進入英語，直接源自古北歐語的angra，意為悲傷，憤怒。
- rage v.